Saturday, March 3, 2012

Shaun the Sheep Cupcakes {tutorial}


Happy Baaaah-lated Leap Day!!

Leap Day is kind of a big deal around here.  HUGE in fact because this year Maggie got to celebrate her 1st birthday!  That's right, she's a Leap Day baby!


In February 2008 we were expecting her.  Her due date was at the beginning of the month but part way through my pregnancy they pushed her due date back two weeks.  Then something happened that I wasn't expecting she was 12 days late.  Not that's not a typo - TWELVE.  I felt like I was pregnant for 11 months. After about a week over due, the doctor wanted to schedule an induction.  I asked if we could do the 29th because heck I've waited this long might as well get the girl a cool birthday while I'm at it.  Well, I checked into the hospital the night before and they were going to induce me at 6 AM.  Turns out I didn't need an induction afterall because I went into labor that night.  It was meant to be!  A unique birthday for a very unique little girl.  She was the only one born in our hospital (which is a big one) that day.  So special!  

Since I get asked this a lot I'll tell you that we celebrate her birthday on non-leap years on February 28th.  Though I tend to get carried away and celebrate all week.  Also, we have so far not had any problems with her birthday being on Leap Day.  On non-leap years she still gets birthday rewards from stores and I've never had paper work or official document problems with it either.  It's just a super fun day to have a birthday!

Okay - now back to the cupcakes.

It's Shaun the Sheep!!!  


For those who don't know Shaun the Sheep is a clay-mation TV show by the same people that do Wallace & Grommit.  You can watch it on Netflix or buy it on Amazon.  It's actually a very funny cute show. 

Shaun the Sheep is Maggie's favorite everything.  This is her getting ready for bed wearing the Shaun hat her Nonie made for her (more on that one later) and holding the little Shaun from her G&G Cutts.  All while watching Shaun the Sheep on the DS.  At night she asks me to sing her the theme song before she goes to sleep.  Spoiled.


This year the only thing she asked for for her birthday was Shaun the Sheep cupcakes.  When your child who has problems with communicating with speech, never asks for anything, and has a birthday only every four years asks for Shaun the Sheep cupcakes you better get that girl Shaun the Sheep cupcakes!

Here's what I came up with.






Want to make your own?  They are a lot easier than they look.  I promise.



Supplies:

Cupcakes
White frosting
Mini-Marshmallows
Mini-chocolate chips
Wax or parchment paper
Piece of paper
Cookie Sheet
Sandwich bags or piping bags




 Step 1: 

Draw the shape of the Shaun head on a piece of paper.  I practiced a couple of times before I settled on one.


Step 2:

Melt about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of chocolate chips in a sandwich bag.  Place chips in bag and place in microwave for 20 seconds.  Take out and lightly squish the chips to mash/mix them.  Continue this process of heating for 20 second intervals until chocolate is melted.  Slice off a tiny corner of the baggie when done.


Step 3:

Place wax or parchment paper on top of drawing.  Pipe chocolate onto wax paper to fill in the shape.  Don't worry if it's lumpy.  The lumpy part is the back of Shaun's head.  You won't be seeing it.


Step 4:

Repeat as many times as you want and place Shaun heads on a baking sheet and place in the fridge or freezer to harden.


Step 5:

Once hardened, peel off the heads and flip them over.  Use the icing to create two dots for eyes.  Inside each white dot place an upside down mini chip for the dark center of the eye.  And you're done with your Shaun head!


Step 6:  

Frost your cupcake.

Step 7:

Cover cupcake in mini-marshmallows.

Step 8:

Use a dollop of frosting to attach the Shaun head to the cupcake body.



These sheep are so cute and so yummy.  The girls loved them but most importantly Maggie loved them.  The joy on her face was priceless.  So happy to make a little girls birthday wish come true!


{P.S.  You can find Season 1 and Season 2 of the show at Amazon.  Along with several short movies that we've never even knew existed.  Also, here is the Shaun the Sheep plushie that she got.}

15 comments:

  1. Those are so darling! My kids LOVE Shaun the Sheep too! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your peep are adorable! I've gotta feature this on my feature finds friday this week. So, so cute :-) Check back with me this Friday :-)

    So happy your little Maggie liked her cupcakes!!!

    Take care,
    Jen
    sunnyvanilla.blogspot.com

    P.S. thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these, Alicia!!! Now I've got to find a reason to make them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy you never need a reason to eat cupcakes!! ;)

    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys LOVE Shaun the Sheep and watching it has become part of the bedtime ritual. Thanks for the great idea--these look fun and relatively easy. And the boys love marshmallows, too, so it's the just the best cupcake ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lucky girl, those are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are awesome! I'm pinning them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Extremely cute and adorable
    These cupcakes look amazing
    You are so creative - i admire that a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shaun the sheep is so awesome! Love.

    I love leap day and sort of secretly wish it was my birthday. Special girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are adorable!! I love all the detail you put into them. Just wanted to let you know you are being featured at this weeks party.
    http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cupcakes are stinkin' cute! I'm pinning them! I recently used a similar method for making polka dot Easter eggs... I love all the fun things you can make with melted chocolate. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable cupcakes! I love how you used the back of the chocolate to make the face smooth. Thanks for sharing them on my link party. I have featured them here.
    http://www.inspirationforcelebration.com/2012/04/blog-news-and-change-to-its-celebration.html
    Excited to be following your blog!
    Christina
    www.inspirationforcelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am looking for STS bday party supplies... any ideas on where I can find them? I have looked everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am looking for STS bday party supplies... any ideas on where I can find them? I have looked everywhere...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...