Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Bubble Ruffle Tu-Tu

UPDATE - The tutorial is here!  You can get the tutorial HERE.



A few weeks ago I auditioned to be a contestant on Project Run and Play, a competition blog for children's designs. Sadly, I did not make the cut but there were many kind people who offered me their shock, kind words and condolences. It was seriously so nice. I know many of those kind people are now followers of The Creative Vault and I just want to say thank you for making me feel special.

Those same kind people also encouraged me to participate in Project Run & Play's Sew Along. The sew along is the same challenge for the week as the designers but it's a separate sew at home competition. There's a prize for each weeks winner but mostly it's just fun to rise to a challenge.

This weeks challenge was to take Made's Circle Skirt Tutorial and mix it up and make it your own.

I can't promise I'll do every weeks sew along but I did play along this week and this is what I came up with.


The Bubble Ruffle Tu-Tu for my baby ballerina!


Okay, I'm embarrassed to tell you {but I will anyway} that this is repurposed from and older lady style {ahem} "nightgown".  It just had so much beautiful {free}chiffon that I just couldn't pass up.

To make the bubble ruffles, I just kind of bunched up the fabric and sewed it on randomly until it achieved the look I was going for.

I love when my random experiments work out.  Maggie loves her new "bow-wa-weena dwess" so win or lose in the competition I'd say that makes it a WIN right there.

Here's one more look -



I'd love it if you'd join the fun and Sew Along with me next week too.  Everything's more fun with a friend!


P.S.  You can go HERE to see the other skirts in the Sew Along competition.  It's so fun to see how different everyone's interpretations are.  Lot's of great talent!

13 comments:

  1. What does it take to make this. My granddaughters would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes very little skill but a bit of patience! :)

    I'll have to post a tutorial soon. Anyone can make this its pretty simple once you get the hang of it. The basic supplies are wide elastic, and lightweight fabric.

    But Rita you know you're always welcome to come over to my place and craft! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo cute. I used to dress my baby girl like that, but now she is 11 and....well she is 11. Thanks for stopping by my blog...where in AL do you live...I'll be in Woodstock, in between Tuscaloosa, and Birmingham. Be home soon, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful Alicia! Great job! I am also shocked you didn't make it. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so cute for a little princess :)
    xoxo,
    Hanni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is so pretty! Can't wait for a tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredibly beautiful stylish skirt. I love everything about it. I'll never look at old lady nightgowns the same again :)

    amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's too cute!
    PS.. I've upcycled from nighties too... as long as it's clean! And no one has any idea unless you tell them! :D
    I'd love to see a tutorial for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I'm a new follower! This skirt is so cool, I hope you do a tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just too cute! I'd love one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alicia, Let me say that this skirt is just so Awsome. I love it! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...