You can imagine my excitement when I discovered that you can make your own! Pinterest has opened my eyes to so much! I found THIS pin and used it as my guide.
Want to make your own? Here's how -
- 2 C water
- 6 C sugar (give or take)
- Food coloring (or Kool Aid packets)
- Wooden sticks (I used BBQ skewers and sanded down the pointy end but you can purchase actual candy sticks HERE)
- Tall glasses
- Plastic wrap
- Clothes pins
- In pot bring water to a boil adding sugar 1/2 c at a time until it no longer disolves in the water.
- Pour syrup into glass and add food coloring. If I were to do this again I will use a Kool Aid packet as dye because it will also add a fun flavor.
- Cover with plastic wrap (this part is probably optional but since I live in the south I didn't need anymore bugs comming around than usual so I covered it up).
- Push wooden sick through the plastic wrap and clip each stick with a clothes pin to help hold stick upright.
- Wait a few days and watch the crystals form. Should take about a week. Don't be alarmed if you don't see crystals right away we didn't have any until after day 2.
Maggie and I enjoyed making these, looked forward to observing its progress everyday and LOVED eating them. A great activity to do with your kids!