A lot of tee's claim to be the perfect one. Well, they are not. But this one is. It's PERFECT perfect.
And I love it.
The other day when
I often find myself layering to compensate for the lack of coverage that my store bought clothes are not providing: undershirts to cover my stomach, tank tops to hide cleave, cardigans to cover my arms. I'm sick of it. The worst part? I can't find clothes that I like that fit. Anywhere. So I've resolved to make my own clothes and try to conquer the clothing battle I face daily. This was my first piece and I'm so happy. I feel like this tiny accomplishment is going to change my life. I feel better already.
I had some jersey (basic t-shirt material) fabric that a friend bought me and Saturday night I decided to try it out. I've always heard that working with knits is hard so I've been scared but this fabric was so easy to work with and was very forgiving. It just required lots of pinning.
What I wanted:
- High but flattering neckline.
- Long so I can bend down to pick up a baby without flashing my backside to the world.
- A sleeve of some sort.
How I did it:
- Used a shirt I already own to trace the pattern for the main body and made adjustments according to my wants listed above. (Next time I'll add another inch or so to the body. I'd like the shirt to be a little more loose)
- Attached a wide trim for the bottom and a thinner trim for the sleeve.
- Finished off the neckline with some homemade bias tape.
- Attached flower decoration. This was made by layering hand cut circles of varying sizes and sewing a button in the middle.
I would have done a tutorial for you but to be honest, I wasn't really expecting it to work out. Next time.
Still layered with a cardigan, (I'll probably never be able to stop wearing those) but I have to tell you I have felt so liberated all day. I've been wrestling and playing with my kids on the floor and my clothes have stayed in place! And I didn't have to tug on my shirt once today! It feels so good.
This is The PERFECT Perfect Tee not because every stitch is done perfectly.
It's so great because it's exactly what I want, what I NEED.
It's perfectly perfect.