Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Homemade Play Dough from The Worlds Best Cookbook

You've probably seen lots of recipes for homemade play dough but this one is the best because it came from the best cookbook there is.

I got this cookbook when I was 4 years old.  Throughout my childhood I poured over its pages and made nearly every recipe in it.  The first thing I ever made was guacamole.  Since then I've been perfecting the recipe and it's one of my best dishes.  I'll share the recipe with you just as soon as avocados don't cost a million dollars.

Well worn but in pretty good condition considering it's 25 years old.  I still use it all the time.  It also came with a set of colorful measuring spoons which I still use every day.

Here's everything you need, taken straight from the book. 


Ingredients:
  • 1 C. white flour
  • 1/4 C. salt
  • 1Tb vegetable oil
  • 2 Tb cream of tartar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tsp food coloring
Directions:
  1. Mix flour, salt and cream of tartar in a medium pot.
  2. Add water, food coloring and oil.
  3. Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.  Don't worry if the mixture looks like a globby mess; it'll turn into dough.
  4. When the mixture forms a ball in the center of the pot, take it out and put it on a floured surface.  Squish it and punch it around a bit; this is called kneading.
  5. When you're done put it in a plastic bag or airtight container.

This play dough works beautifully and lasts forever.  The only time we make more is when we want another color.  Have fun making this with your kids.  You'll all love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...