Monday, September 26, 2011

$2 DIY Cake Stand

I've been loving all the cake stands I've been seeing on the internet lately.  And I've been drooling over painted glass.  So darling. 

The only thing better than cake is cake on a fun stand. 




I call this the $2 cake stand because the main supplies cost exactly $2.  The plate and the martini glass came from the Dollar Store.  All the other supplies I had on hand.  If you carft ever you will probably have these supplies.


Step 1:  Clean glass using glass cleaner and remove any stickers.



Step 2:  Lay plate face down on table.  Place fabric on top and trace around the edge to determine size of fabric.  I did it this way because the plate had a lip and I wanted to make sure I had the exact size of fabric.

Step 3:  Coat entire bottom of plate in Mod Podge.  The more the merrier.  If there is a spot you missed with the Mod Podge it will show up so coat that sucker good!

Step 4:  Lay fabric (right side down) on plate and smooth out any bubbles.

Step 5:  Coat the entire bottom of plate again with Mod Podge to seal the fabric.  Let dry.  It may looks splochy for a little while but once the glue dries completly it will all look great.


Step 6:  Trim any excess fabric with scissors.






Step 7:  Pour paint into martini glass and coat the inside generously.  Let dry.  {You can leave it like this or you can cover the paint with Mod Podge too to give it an extral seal}

Step 8:  Turn martini glass over and put your strong glue on the bottom.  Place plate on top and let dry.  *** This step is optional.  You don't need to glue it for it to stay in place.  I chose not to glue mine together to make it easier to store.


The top of the platter is completly food safe since you only added stuff to the bottom.  Wipe top to clean.  Do not soak.


Simple as that.  Can you imagine all the posibilites?

Now, who's ready for a doughnut????

3 comments:

  1. can you wash it or will that make the fabric come off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I needed to highlight that part a little more in the post but it's completely food safe. I would recommend wiping the top to clean. I wouldn't soak it because the fabric would come off. However you've sealed it enough with the mod lpodgr that if it gets a little wet it should be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I needed to highlight that part a little more in the post but it's completely food safe. I would recommend wiping the top to clean. I wouldn't soak it because the fabric would come off. However you've sealed it enough with the mod lpodgr that if it gets a little wet it should be okay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...