Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ruffled Muslin Trees {Tutorial}

Y'all, I am a mess.  I've had so many projects I've been working on for Christmas gifts, that hardly any of them are getting done.  I'm just all over the place with no focus.  I guess most of them will be Happy New Years presents.  You're probably thinking, "Then why are you blogging if you have so much to do?"  The truth is, I have no idea.  But since I did get one gift done I thought I would share it, maybe it will help motivate me to finish the bajillion others.  Oh yeah, and don't worry I'm still working on a tutorial for the Mr. & Mrs. Place Settings.  I just wanted to get this out before Christmas was over.



Introducing Ruffled Muslin Trees


Super simple.  Super sweet.


And the best part is it can go with any decor theme.


I made these as a thank you gift for Maggie's therapists {occupational and speech}.  They spend so much time with her each week, making her feel so special, I didn't want them to go unrecognized.  I figured they could keep them on their desk or take them home.  I would have loved to get them a nice big gift card or something but it just wasn't in the budget.  So it was off to the craft room.

Want to make your own?  It's so easy, I promise.  Okay, here's how:

Supplies:
- Card stock paper {you can use a Styrofoam cone too but they can be expensive}
- Tape
- Muslin (about 1/8 - 1/4 yard) per tree {I just used scraps}
- scissors
- hot glue
- twine
- jingle bells

Directions:


Step 1:  Make a cone from the paper.  I have no special tricks, just twist the paper around until it forms a come that you like the shape of.  Tape it to secure it in place.

Step 2:  Prepare your fabric.  Tear your fabric into strips that about about 1 inch wide.  Tearing gives it a nice frayed edge and a shabby chic look.  To tear your fabric cut a small slit on the edge and then just rip. {no pic sorry}

Step 3:  Hot glue fabric to cone starting from the bottom and gradually spiraling all the way up, gathering and bunching the fabric as you go.  When you come to the end of a strip just add another one.  No need to do anything fancy.

Work with about an inch at a time.  This way your glue stays nice and hot and secure.
Step 4:  Once you've added all the ruffle, cut off the tip of the tree to make a tiny flat top.

Step 5:  Take a piece of twine {about 8-10 inches long) and tie a jingle bell to each end.

Step 6:  Take a long length of twine and wrap it around your fingers.  The length of twine will depend on how many loops you want your bow to have.

Step 7:  Take the twine off your fingers and hold it in the middle.  Take the twine with the jingle bells on it and tie it in a knot around the looped twine.  This will secure it in place.


Step 8:  Place a large blob of glue on the top and attach the bow.


Ta-da!

Told you it was simple.  The whole thing took me lass than two Modern Family episodes to complete so (a half hour or so).  A great last minute gift or decor idea.  The best part is its such a lovely color that it can stay up past Christmas as part of winter decor and not just for Christmas.  A nice gift for any denomination.

Well, I'm off to finish the rest of my projects, since I'm guessing my family would like to have Christmas presents and all.

Good luck to you with all you have going on as well!


1 comment:

  1. I love these little trees and your tutorial is great! I would love it if you could link it up here.. http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/12/project-party-weekend-come-link-up-your.html
    Merry Christmas!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...