Monday, June 6, 2011

The Mod Mod Dress

If you go to Church with us you're probably sick of seeing this dress. 
I've just been so excited about it, I've made Miss Maggie wear it two weeks in a row. 
It's the second dress I've designed and created from scratch.  I can already see improvements in my technique and skill.  Imagine what I can do with even more practice!  You've got to try designing it's so fun.

Introducing...


I've named it the Mod Mod Dress because to me it feels 1960's mod, but with a modern twist. 
Thus, The Mod Mod. 

When my mother in law generously brought me a bin full of vintage fabric, a small piece of this yellow and teal floral beauty was tucked in side.  It's a nice, thick cotton with a subtle texture.  I knew the fabric would be stiff enough for this sleeve design that has been rolling around in my head. 

I had seen this Versace dress and loved the sleeve.

It was stiff and linear and just kind of stood out to me. 

You're now thinking, "Your dress doesn't look anything like that one."  I know.  I didn't want to knock off the dress, I wanted to be inspired by it.  I wanted it to be my own.  Plus, my daughter is 3, not 30.





For the back I did a key hole closure with a button and a piece of elastic.  You know when you buy new shoes for kids and they are tied together with that elastic cord.  I keep those and use them for projects like these.

I couldn't just stop at the dress.  Every woman, no matter how small, needs accessories -
How I did the head band -  I took a skinny strip of felt and twisted it.  I rolled the twist into a circle, gluing it together along the way.  I made smaller flowers with scraps of fabric and hot glued them to the large felt flower.  I then glued the whole piece to a piece of elastic.  For added security, I also glued a strip of felt to the underside of the whole thing (like a sandwich:  flowers - elastic - felt strip).

With the very last scrap I made a tiny lined purse.  The closure is Velcro with a button decoration so it's stylish and easy to open.  There was no way I wanted to be whined at to help her with a button closure a million times a day.  She actually loves the purse more than anything.  She hung the purse from the light and insisted that I take a picture.  And what does a little girl keep in her purse?  Plastic necklaces and fairie figurines of course!


I wish I could provide you with a pattern to make your own Mod Mod Dress today but it's too complicated for me to show you how right now.  I want to work on learning how to size patterns to share with all little girls, not just ones the exact size of my daughter.  I'm working on it though so check back!


In the mean time, I encourage you to just try it.  Make measurements, draw out a pattern and TRY IT.  Make the dress you have in your head.  It will feel really good when you do. 


***UPDATE***

To see how Maggie styled her Mod Mod Dress this season click HERE
She's been paying attention to the trends this season.  Lets just say, neon is SO in.  :)



11 comments:

  1. So cute!! I love making little clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job! That dress is adorable! I love the yellow fabric and the fun accessories you made as well.

    justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet!! I just tried making my own patterns too and it is so FUN!!! Thanks for sharing!

    www.craftychicka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. this pattern is so so so cute! I love it.

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute!!! We found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! We are your newest followers and would love for you to follow our blog!

    www.sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creativity here. Can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute, summery, and colorful. I bet she loves wearing that dress!

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Alicia...you are amazing!!! So stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely darling! And I love the colors in it with the headband. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this outfit. It looks like it would be comfortable and perfect for play. Great fabric.... very 60s. The matching handbag is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...