Succotash is to Barbecue as Breath is to Life...
Yes. I feel that strongly about the deliciousness of this succotash.
Nothing in this house gets grilled without a side of succotash.
You're probably wondering, "What is Succotash?"
Dictionary definition: A cooked dish of kernels of corn mixed with shell beans, especially lima beans.
- 2 small - medium onions or 1 large, chopped
- 5-10 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 pound bag frozen baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound bag of frozen corn kernels or 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tb. dried parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- salt to taste
- olive oil
- In large sauce pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil, over medium heat. Onions should be soft and a very light brown, do not brown.
- Add to pan - lima beans, corn, tomatoes. Let saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add - water, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, chili powder and salt. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes until beans are tender and the sauce begins to cook down and slightly thicken.
- Serve warm or cold. (Warm is best in my opinion.)
These are the only leftovers I will eat. It's that good!
Now go make yourself up a batch and put some meat on the grill!