Monday, July 25, 2011

Birdie Quilt

I've shown you a few things I've made to decorate Baby Jack's (side of the) room HERE and HERE but I haven't shown you anything I've made for Maggie.  Well, I guess that's not entirely true, I did end up putting the birdie tree in there after we did the Birdie Baby Shower a few months ago.  Anyway, I guess I better show you some of her stuff to.  Maggie's room is decorated in browns, pinks and greens.  All sorts of patterns, shades, prints, etc.  And there are little birds everywhere because she's my little Magpie.

I am no quilter by any means.  I don't have the skills or the patience, but I did want to try so here is my first and only quilt (thus far).
   
I appliqued a little birdie to each square.  Each bird has a different kind of ribbon for their legs.  I just placed two pieces of ribbon that I tied in knots at the bottom for feet and then secured the applique with a zig zag stitch.

I pieced all the squares together and then used what I think is called the tie method to secure it all in place.  I used brown embroidery thread to secure a button (brown, green and pink) and then tied it in a knot leaving a little thread showing out of the button.  The quilt top was made using pieces of fabric from my personal stash.


Here's the whole thing...

For the back I wanted to incorporate some of the patterns from the front in a fun way.  But here's the "what were you thinking?" moment - instead of appliqueing the strips on like I did with the birds on the front, I cut out holes in the brown fabric and then pieced the strips in.  Why?  That was so much harder!  Consequently it made the fabric not lay as nicely but after washing it doesn't make much of a difference.

But I don't want to dwell on the negative so let's just look at the cute little birdies on the front again shall we?
Love those birdies!

I think I'm ready to tackle a dino quilt next!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! You inspired me to try some quilts for my girls. I'm like you in that I'm no quilter either, but there's always a first for everything, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink, Green, Toile & Cheeta - how can you go wrong!! Beautiful! Found you on Skip to my Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable!

    BTW I'm hosting a 12 FAT quarter Fabric Giveaway. Come by and check it out when you get a chance :)

    Q @ http://www.jaqsstudio.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...